Nathan Bomey is a business reporter for USA TODAY, an author and documentary scriptwriter.
His debut book, Detroit Resurrected: To Bankruptcy and Back, published by New York-based W.W. Norton & Co. in 2016, is available in hardcover, paperback, e-book and audiobook. The New York Times hailed Detroit Resurrected as a "valuable work of urban policy," while Publisher's Weekly called it a "stirring saga."
Nathan's second book, After the Fact: The Erosion of Truth and the Inevitable Rise of Donald Trump, was published in 2018 by Amherst, N.Y.-based Prometheus Books and is available in hardcover, e-book and audiobook. Syndicated columnist Leonard Pitts called After the Fact "troubling and essential," while the San Francisco Book Review called it "a fantastic analysis of the world we live in today."
Nathan is also currently serving as principal scriptwriter on a full-length documentary film on the Detroit bankruptcy produced by Philadelphia-based History Making Productions.
At USA TODAY, Nathan covers business trends, the automotive industry, bankruptcy and breaking news. Before joining USA TODAY in the Washington, D.C., area in 2015, Nathan covered Detroit’s historic Chapter 9 bankruptcy and General Motors as a business reporter for the Detroit Free Press. He also spent several years as a business reporter for publications in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Nathan has made many appearances on national TV and radio networks, including CNN, ABC, NBC, Fox Business, MSNBC, Cheddar and NPR.
Nathan has won several national journalism awards, including a 2018 National Headliner Award for business coverage and multiple honors from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers (SABEW).
He is also a recipient of Governing magazine’s Hovey-Harkness Award, honoring the best public service journalism on government issues. He has been a finalist for the Gerald Loeb Award and has received numerous other journalism honors. In 2015, he was named Young Journalist of the Year by the Society of Professional Journalists Detroit.
A 2006 graduate of Eastern Michigan University, Nathan received EMU’s Outstanding Young Alumni Award in 2015. He has also completed a fellowship program in China through the East-West Center in 2012 and earned a certificate from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business’ Seminars for Business Journalists in 2014.
A native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Nathan moved to Michigan in third grade and grew up in the Ann Arbor area.
Honors and Awards
- National Headliner Award for business coverage (2018).
Society of American Business Editors and Writers (SABEW) Best in Business: First place for Newspaper Features (2015) and Explanatory Journalism (2014) for Detroit bankruptcy stories.
Gerald Loeb Award finalist (2014) for Breaking News coverage.
“Governing” magazine’s Hovey-Harkness Award (2014) for public service journalism in government reporting.
State Bar of Michigan Wade H. McCree Award for the Advancement of Justice (2015).
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Detroit Young Journalist of the Year (winner, 2015; finalist, 2014, 2013).
Eastern Michigan University Outstanding Young Alumni Award (2015).
Several Michigan Associated Press Media Editors awards, including first for Best Public Service (2014).
- Numerous Michigan Press Association awards, SPJ Detroit awards and internal company honors
Select TV interviews
- MSNBC's "Live with Stephanie Ruhle" (on GM-UAW strike) — Sept. 16, 2019
NBC's "Today Show" (on Oprah's WW investment) — Feb. 28, 2019
- ABC's "Good Morning America" (on resurrected cars) — Jan. 15, 2019
- "PBS NewsHour" (on GM-UAW strike) — Sept. 16, 2019
- Fox Business (on Tesla) —Aug. 13, 2018
- Cheddar (on Juul vaping controversy) — Oct. 16, 2019
- NBC's "The Reid Report" (on Detroit bankruptcy) — April 11, 2014
MSNBC's "Weekends with Alex Witt" (on Detroit bankruptcy) — Dec. 8, 2013
MSNBC's "Weekends with Alex Witt" (on "After the Fact") — April 2
"CNN Newsroom" with Brianna Keiler and Poppy Harlow (on Trump tariffs) — June 1, 2018 (video unavailable)
Select public appearances
- Saline High School commencement speech — June 2, 2019
- Book talks and signings: Urban Land Institute; American Society of Appraisers; S&P Global Ratings; Municipal Analysts Group of New York; Philadelphia Area Municipal Analysts Society; Politics & Prose bookstore; Literati Bookstore; Pages Bookshop; Chicago Tribune Printers Row Lit Fest; University of Southern California Sol Price School of Public Policy; Humanity in Action; Trinity Health System; Vanguard Group municipal analysts; University of Minnesota / Society of Professional Journalists Minnesota; PRSA Detroit; Detroit Public Library; Detroit Institute of Arts; University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business; University of Maryland Baltimore County, Eastern Michigan University.
Keynote address, Eastern Michigan University Undergraduate Symposium — March 31, 2017